As specialist conveyancing solicitors we, at Dale and Co, deal with many first-time buyer transactions.
Buying your first property is an exciting experience, however, one that can be quite daunting. For most people purchasing a property is the most significant investment of their lives.
There are numerous steps and legal procedures involved when purchasing a property which many individuals are unaware of. Our specialist conveyancing solicitors, based in Lincoln, have created a first-time buyers guide highlighting and answering some of the most asked questions we receive.
What is the legal process for buying a property?
Purchasing a property can seem very confusing at times, especially for first-time buyers. However, when you are clear on exactly what is require and what the process entails it can be relatively straightforward. Although you may have an offer in place, there are still many procedures and checks to be carried out before the sale is finalised and contracts are exchanged. Having a solicitor in place from the beginning of the process ensures the entire procedure runs smoothly alleviating stress when things seem a bit complicated.
Below are the 4 main steps to buying your first property:
- Know how much you can afford: Know exactly how much you can borrow from a mortgage lender and identify exactly how much you need to save for a deposit. Speaking to a financial adviser is recommended, as they have access to various mortgage lenders and the best rates.
- Visit estate agents and view properties - Do not settle, the more properties you visit the better. This way you will start to create a clear picture of what it is exactly you want and what it is you do not want. Developing a good relationship with estate agents is a good idea in relation to new properties coming on the market.
- Finding the right solicitor: Once you have made the decision to start seriously looking for your first home, it is advisable to contact a solicitor. This will let the estate agents know that you are serious about purchasing a home and also prevent any time from being wasted once you have found the property of your dreams. At Dale and Co, our property solicitor has a wealth of experience in dealing with first-time buyers and have successfully assisted many first time buyers every step of the way, when purchasing their first home.
- Make an offer and get a survey carried out: Once you have found the property you would like to make an offer on, it is time to get the ball rolling. Your solicitor will also be able to provide you with information on:
- Getting a survey carried out
- The amount of Stamp Duty Land Tax you need to pay - if any
- Which searches to have carried out
Last Updated: Wednesday 24th July 2019
FIND OUT MORE